Weymouth & Portland National Sailing Academy
21-23 June 2019
You don’t want to miss this. It’s going to be big. It’s going to be epic.
Based at the Weymouth & Portland National Sailing Academy (WPNSA), host of the 2012 Olympic Games regatta, the 2019 Harken D-Zero UK National and Open Championships is shaping up to be the best one yet. What are we proposing?
- 8 races over 3 days with racing both inside Portland Harbour and outside in Weymouth Bay. The harbour is 2 miles square with ample room for full-size championship courses and no tide. The bay offers some of the best conditions in the country with just superb waves.
- In addition to the Olympic regatta, the WPNSA hosts several major championships a year so expect race management second-to-none.
- As we will be welcoming our D-Zero friends from the continent we will be competing for both the Open Championship and the UK National Championship.
- A number of charter boats may be available. Please contact David Valentine at https://www.dzero.co.uk/ if interested.
We’re going to be organising loads of stuff to keep you amused while we’re off the water. Some of the highlights are:
- Friday night meal at the Balti Island ( https://baltiisland.co.uk/ ). We’ve booked out the entire restaurant for the evening. This is in easy walking distance of the WPNSA with the added benefit of being only a few steps away from the legendary Cove Inn.
- Saturday night BBQ at the WPNSA included within the entry fee.
- Buddy system with prizes.
- D-Zero fantasy league and other on-shore tomfoolery. With the number of boats expected from north of the border I’m sure we can organise some England v Scotland v Rest of the World games (OK, darts).
- Plus there’s loads for the non-sailing members of the family to do – https://www.visit-dorset.com/explore/towns/weymouth
- Free parking on-site at WPNSA.
There are loads of options:
- Campervans on-site at the WPNSA http://www.wpnsa.org.uk/campervans-and-caravans
- Portland House. 24 rooms, all en-suite with a self-catering kitchen. There are 9 x 4-bed, 3 x triple bed and 12 x twin rooms. The rate is £65/room/night for all rooms. Within walking distance. https://www.rya.org.uk/contact-us/rya-portland-house/Pages/hub.aspx
- A much cheaper option is at the YHA – I’ve stayed there, it’s basic but perfectly OK. Also within walking distance. https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-portland
- For the more well-to-do (i.e. Martin Latimer), about 5 minutes cycle. https://www.crabberswharf.co.uk/
- Property rentals – http://www.redhouseproperty.co.uk/
Pebble Bank (tents, motorhomes, caravans, holiday caravans for rental). DT4 9HF = 3 miles to WPNSA. http://www.pebblebank.co.uk/
East Fleet Farm (tents, motorhomes, caravans). DT3 4DW = 5 miles to WPNSA. http://www.eastfleet.co.uk/
West Fleet Farm (tents only). DT3 4EF = 6 miles to WPNSA. https://www.westfleetholidays.co.uk/
Bagwell Farm (tents, motorhomes, caravans). DT3 4EA = 6 miles to WPNSA. http://www.bagwellfarm.co.uk/
So how do I get in on this?
Easy, simply fill out the Nationals Entry form that can be found by clicking here. Don’t forget to send your payment!
Timothy Le Mare
The premier venue in the UK and no results at 10pm after the event, how sad!
Actually the venue had the results posted before we eve n got off the water. They can be found here https://www.sailwave.com/results/WPNSA/2019_D-Zero_Nationals/Overall.htm
The full class report will follow.