Weymouth & Portland National Sailing Academy
21-23 June 2019
You don’t want to miss this. It’s going to be big. It’s going to be epic.
Based at the Weymouth & Portland National Sailing Academy (WPNSA), host of the 2012 Olympic Games regatta, the 2019 Harken D-Zero UK National and Open Championships is shaping up to be the best one yet. What are we proposing?
- 8 races over 3 days with racing both inside Portland Harbour and outside in Weymouth Bay. The harbour is 2 miles square with ample room for full-size championship courses and no tide. The bay offers some of the best conditions in the country with just superb waves.
- In addition to the Olympic regatta, the WPNSA hosts several major championships a year so expect race management second-to-none.
- As we will be welcoming our D-Zero friends from the continent we will be competing for both the Open Championship and the UK National Championship.
- A number of charter boats may be available. Please contact David Valentine at https://www.dzero.co.uk/ if interested.
We’re going to be organising loads of stuff to keep you amused while we’re off the water. Some of the highlights are:
- Friday night meal at the Balti Island ( https://baltiisland.co.uk/ ). We’ve booked out the entire restaurant for the evening. This is in easy walking distance of the WPNSA with the added benefit of being only a few steps away from the legendary Cove Inn.
- Saturday night BBQ at the WPNSA included within the entry fee.
- Buddy system with prizes.
- D-Zero fantasy league and other on-shore tomfoolery. With the number of boats expected from north of the border I’m sure we can organise some England v Scotland v Rest of the World games (OK, darts).
- Plus there’s loads for the non-sailing members of the family to do – https://www.visit-dorset.com/explore/towns/weymouth
- Free parking on-site at WPNSA.
There are loads of options:
- Campervans on-site at the WPNSA http://www.wpnsa.org.uk/campervans-and-caravans
- Portland House. 24 rooms, all en-suite with a self-catering kitchen. There are 9 x 4-bed, 3 x triple bed and 12 x twin rooms. The rate is £65/room/night for all rooms. Within walking distance. https://www.rya.org.uk/contact-us/rya-portland-house/Pages/hub.aspx
- A much cheaper option is at the YHA – I’ve stayed there, it’s basic but perfectly OK. Also within walking distance. https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-portland
- For the more well-to-do (i.e. Martin Latimer), about 5 minutes cycle. https://www.crabberswharf.co.uk/
- Property rentals – http://www.redhouseproperty.co.uk/
Pebble Bank (tents, motorhomes, caravans, holiday caravans for rental). DT4 9HF = 3 miles to WPNSA. http://www.pebblebank.co.uk/
East Fleet Farm (tents, motorhomes, caravans). DT3 4DW = 5 miles to WPNSA. http://www.eastfleet.co.uk/
West Fleet Farm (tents only). DT3 4EF = 6 miles to WPNSA. https://www.westfleetholidays.co.uk/
Bagwell Farm (tents, motorhomes, caravans). DT3 4EA = 6 miles to WPNSA. http://www.bagwellfarm.co.uk/
So how do I get in on this?
Easy, simply fill out the Nationals Entry form that can be found by clicking here. Don’t forget to send your payment!